Saturday, May 27, 2017

Adventures in Gardening

As a child I remember my daddy tilling the garden...our job was to then fill our buckets with rocks, so that the garden would grow. I don't remember all we planted or how well the gardens grew, but I can remember breaking beans, shucking corn, and mama canning them along with tomatoes.


I have not ventured to far in gardening as an adult...I can grow tomatoes, peppers and herbs from a plant, but never ventured into planting from seeds. After finding I was allergic to corn  pollen I could no longer frequent our large community garden.

Our neighborhood association as a collective decided the large, lot-sized garden was a bit much to manage...last summer the rain and weeds beat us all out! We talked and dreamed of attempting a small raised bed garden and if it works planting them throughout the neighborhood. Thankfully some friends blessed CH1 with our first raised bed plot!

Last week we went to the Hopkinsville Christian County Public Library and picked out 7 packets of seeds from the seed library. Along with the ones we already had on hand we planned an evening and planted our plot!

We are definitely learning as we go, but can I just add how delightful gardening with a friend is...just made it not feel like work at all...although we had plenty of dirt and sweat on us by the time we finished!

If our green thumbs prevail, then we should have in the DANA/CH1 Community Garden:

- Tomatoes
- Sweet Bell Peppers
- Banana Peppers
- JalapeƱo Peppers
- Spinach
- Green Onions
- Lettuce
- Red Okra
- Cucumbers
- Zucchini
- Turnips
- Collard Greens
- Snap Peas

 
  
 
  
    

0 Comments:

Post a Comment