Sunday, May 21, 2017

Lessons from the Street Corner

Last night late in the evening we heard barking...a constant, loud bark with hardly a breath between. Finally after what seemed like 15 minutes my husband went out to investigate and I heard an, "oh no" from outside. I quickly threw on my shoes.


As I walked out a cat came over and began to meow with the same constant insistence...I looked in the direction they were making their pleas to see a little honey brown pit bull pup lying on the sidewalk and breathing laboriously.

We shewed the barking dog and cat toward their home and my husband went over to check out the poor pup. It had been hit by a car and could not move anything, but it's head. We stayed as he rubbed it's head and talked gently to it and a few minutes later it passed.

Around the same time the other dog stopped it's incessant barking...almost as the plea for help could stop. Suddenly sleep was not quite the priority as we contacted animal control to help. A neighbor stopped by to chat and share good news on how he is getting on his feet again.

It struck me how adamant that dog was in crying out for help and the cat, too. I don't think I had ever seen this behavior before in animals...but these three run the streets together...we had seen them often over the past few weeks and commented on hoping they stayed safe.

As we returned inside to sleep I pondered the pleas of these other animals, their stick-togetherness. It made me reflect on how adamantly I call for help if I see another in need...one of my pack...

So...slow down...drive safe and be on watch for children and animals that may roam our streets...look out for those around you and never stop trying if you know one of those you do life with needs help...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment